Leather furniture is an ideal investment for newly married couples, happy singles and large families. Leather is easy to look after as it can stand up to heavy use like resisting stains from spills of all kinds. Leather furniture will complement any styles of interior decoration.
To make the right choice for your home- you must consider the following points:
- Quality of wear and tear: For the home of a large and busy family, it is best to buy ‘middle-grade leather’ as it can resist spills and wear better compared to top grade ‘aniline leather’.
- Deciding on dye process: Choose a dye process that matches your need. There are three methods: pigmented, semi-aniline and aniline. The dyeing of the best hides is usually in the aniline process followed by semi-aniline, which is more affordable. Pigmented hides are those that use several coats of colour and sealants.
- Imperfections: A few natural imperfections are usual for leather furniture. These may be regarded as features of leather rather than errors or damages in manufacture.
- Include coils: Leather furniture with the hand-tied, eight-way coils can withstand more wear than furniture with other types of coils. Coils make your furniture more durable.
- Purchase a set: When you buy leather furniture as individual items, they may show differences in colour, imperfections or texture. Furniture will have such similar features if purchased as a set.
- Choose colour and style: A classic choice is a brown coloured leather sofa having tailored lines, ideal for a conservative design scheme. But the options for style and colour are plenty. Colours include sapphire blue, maroon and even yellow and red.
- Special features: Consider furniture with different features like recliners, stadium-style chairs or sleeper leather sofa.
- Maintenance: Different types of leather require different care. For instance, Nubuck leather furniture requires extra regular cleaning as compared to other types of leather. So, choose according to the amount of time you can afford to spend on caring for the furniture.
Since leather furniture is a costly and long-term investment, take care of the points mentioned above in selecting it.