Sometimes, it is not always about money why people choose to buy smaller houses, but it is also because of personal preferences. It is believed that maintaining and taking care of smaller houses is much easier than larger ones, so people with smaller families normally opt for smaller houses. However, smaller size means greater challenges to make the place delightful and charming. Since smaller houses mean smaller rooms, you need to have broader imagination and creativity in order to avoid creating a mess with furniture, decorative articles, and every other tangible object. People say that managing space in small bedrooms is one of the toughest tasks in this regard, so here are a few tips that can make your bedroom look spacious so that you have more space for everything.
- Mount on the walls: Most of us prefer to keep things on the ground. However, keeping stuff on ground level consumes more space and leaves less area to move about. Therefore, most designers recommend that items such as table lamps be replaced with wall lamps, shelves should be fixed on walls from top to bottom in order to increase storage, and hooks and racks may be attached to walls instead of being kept on wheels on the ground. This way, space can be maintained for necessary entities such as a bed and side tables. Even if you have counters or extra floor space, you should clean them up by removing all non-essential items.
- Determine the scale: Although you might have more space to roll around while on a larger bed, but you should consider buying the size on which you would fit without being uncomfortable, i.e. do not go for something large if you can work with a smaller version of it.Buying a large sofa bed would leave no space for a bedside table, and you would have to buy a smaller one, which would make it look funny. Therefore, go for the right size bed and your room will automatically look better!
- Use mirrors: Mirrors not only illuminate light by reflecting the sources of light, but also give the room a larger look. An idea to use a mirror in a smaller bedroom is to install a closet covering one of the walls and cover the sliding doors with mirrors. This way, the mind would be forced to believe that the room is way larger than it actually is, not only because of the increased idea of space but also because of added illumination.
- Lighter paints: Since lighter colors reflect more light, they automatically give an idea that the space is larger than its actual size. However, keeping the color tone constant will give a dull impression. Therefore, while using a color scheme, it is recommended that different shades of the same color, or matching colors be used. This adds up to the liveliness of your bedroom.
- Use empty spaces below furniture: If your bed has empty space beneath it, use pull-out drawers where you can place extra clothes, beddings, or anything else you want to. This way you would easily be able to make your bedroom look spacious.
The basic idea behind these concepts is to keep the place clean and avoid cluttering. Even if you are able to get by with nothing but a bed, a bedside table, and a lamp, your bedroom is going to be just great!